Friday, September 23, 2016

Penned Con St. Louis 2016

Penned Con 2016 St. louis

Penned Con is a all out Author fun time. 150+ Authors, 2 huge rooms with authors and their tables set up with their famous books and new releases, Tables lined the hallway with swag, 2 more Authors had a shared table out there, St. Louis Library, Missouri Writer's Guild, Silent Auction Table, Raffle Table. One room for Panels (that i missed), A whole 2 days of non-stop fun for readers, bloggers, authors to get together and Proceeds go to Autism.

This was my first time attending something like. I have heard about it the last 2 years, never clicked the link to see who was attending, or what it was. I literally have missed many opportunities to see my favorite Authors! I took my Mother who got me into reading and she loved it!!! Our Favorite Author was there (Laura Hawks) and we have actually known Laura before she became an Author. I had so much fun, that I will be spending this whole week trying to figure out which books I bought that I want to read first.

My first day, I took all 3 of my kids. I let them skip school to have this chance to see Authors, who I know they will never have this chance unless I get lucky to grab tickets for more of these events. My kids were not really into books. We live next door to our Public Library and have been there many times, kids get books, but really at their ages they should want to read, to get into something other then watching tv constantly. They really surprised me! My middle child spaz when I went to one of my favorite authors after catching up to me. Stacey Rourke completely made my day when she actually recognized my name from the many times I have been on her fan page and her release parties. It was hard to decide which book set I wanted, and having my child look at those books, listen to when I told her about the Legends Saga, and go "Can I read these?", Ummmm YES you can read it! I have it on my kindle and since I have read it and approved it for her age, she can go ahead to read it. I ended up buying her Griffon series, which I will end up buying the Legends Saga and her other series!

Tish Thawer was my other author, same room, couple rows away from Stacey. I loved her 'Witches of Blackbrook' book so much on my kindle, that I had to buy it in paperback! I have seen her 'Women of Purgatory Series' on her FB fan page and had to buy BOTH books as 1 is not even out yet!!! Tish was amazing, and I did my girlie fan scream going up to her table! I even went back the 2nd day with my middle child to ask about graphic material in the "Women of Purgatory", Since I just bought them, I needed to know, "Do I need to block my child from attempting to read this?" The answer is YES! She can read Witches of Blackbrook but not this one until she's older.... I may or may not let her LOL

I also got to meet Cameo Renae! I have one of her books on my kindle (of course I forgot which one lol) so I had to buy on of hers! She was so sweet and amazing, and loved that I follow her on social media too. She is one that I had met through Tish, Stacey, and Regina ( R. K. Ryals). She had an assistant with her and I could of swore it was family, they looked liked twins I almost doubled checked myself before I saw the Gold tag hanging from Cameo's neck.

I managed to meet a couple more authors that I actually got a friend request from right before attending this event. Catherine Stine, Beth Carter, Madge Gressley, Tierney James. I love having Authors as friends on Social Media. It literally makes scrolling through the post worth it to see books show up on the newsfeed that I could of possibly missed!

Day 1 I did not make it to all the tables. I was so quiet and I actually forgot what Genres I love to read, and Authors!!! I had about 5 Authors ask me that question and it's like I froze up and went dumb for a second. I never really thought about the genres when I read. I just read, write reviews, and buy more books after reading the first book! I have never had an author who I didn't love their books. My kindle is full of books from random authors.

Day 2 I had only 1 child with my mother and I. I had a goal to get through all the tables in both rooms, double check to sign all the newsletters, ask quick questions about genres of every table, make sure I SPOKE up about being a blogger and getting my 2 books I just had to have!!! I accomplished almost all of that! I had from 11-2 to get through both rooms and almost made it to everyone. I actually missed about 5 tables as they were already gone but thanks to SWAG I can go through and match up names to swag and see who I missed and look them up. I need to expand my library and genres and thats exactly what Penned Con gave me!

I definitely overspent my budget but lucky my husband was okay with it. We had already paid up and over our bills so my splurge was not affecting us, and I met authors who had YA books that my kids can read. Can we say CHRISTMAS presents for my kids!!!! Penned Con really landed on the perfect date for me. Just in time for me to attempt to ask my kids for present ideas, and books will be on that list thanks to the Authors who took the time and talked with me and my kids about books.

I loved that between the Panels, the Signing Room, and getting to all the tables in the Hallway, This was set up really awesome! I had time to talk to some authors more since they had more series/books and get to know their writing styles so I can expand my library. I love my kindle e-books but having those Paperbacks with signatures signed to me are the real treat for these events. I will have to say this. I have never been to an event that everyone took the time for new readers, made that connection with us, and didn't push their books on us. That really made it more special to me.

My first thought when I saw the advertisement was WOW! my authors are going to be there. I need to tell my mother about it. I had not bought my tickets since I was attending my business conference and I needed to go. I could not pass the chance to see all my uplines in my group but I also needed to be at Penned Con. Lucky for me Tish Thawer had asked on her "Book Coven" if anyone was attending and I caught the post back in July. She gave me 2 tickets that covered the 2 day event for book signings, panels, and workshops. I didn't need to attend the Red Coat party or the Luau party as I do have kids who need me at home. I live 20 minutes from St. Louis on the Illinois side of the River. It was easy for me to get in my car and drive over.

My advice for readers? If you get the chance to attend any event with Authors.... GO TO THEM!!! It is an experience you don't want to miss out on! Plus it benefits Autism and that completely rocks! I love knowing that these events were not just for Authors to meet their fans, and bloggers, but it benefited something people don't quite understand or really care about.... and honestly that actually breaks my heart that we live in a world that people just don't care about events that benefits things like this.

Amy Miles (Author) and her Rick Miles put this together and they did an amazing job. They even had their son L.G. Miles who Amy helped write a book there with a cute table and I just had to buy 2 for my girls to read.

If your ever in the St. Louis Area and love books or want to get into books. Check out Penned Con! They already have dates set up for next year and have authors signing up to attend. It is an experience that you will never forget and will take back more and more love for reading.  


No comments:

Post a Comment